Tuesday 17 August 2021

Tiki


 I like seeing things that stand out that are different from the norm. These Maori Tiki sculptures in Taupo were made by Albert McCarthy. Each colour has a different meaning; blue represents the lake, red represents the earth and yellow is the warmth.  He has drawn inspiration from the celestial and the spiritual bringing with it a message of peace.

So the continuing story with my car, no I still don't have it back and probably won't have it until maybe the end of next week. So far the process has been extremely painful, frustrating and stressful. Last night we got to the point where I actually sent quite a rude blunt email to our insurance company. It's not often that I get that angry but when I do look out. Basically the police had it for 3 weeks doing forensics on it, the panelbeaters had it for over a week before they sent photos to our insurance company who in turn have given us less than ideal communication as to what has been happening. We've had to push and push the whole way for updates. I think I'll be changing insurance providers very soon...

EDITED TO ADD: Tonight New Zealand has gone into a level 4 full lockdown due to a possible Delta Covid case being detected in Auckland, stay safe everyone.

Linking up with Our World TuesdayTravel TuesdayTuesday TreasuresThrough my lensMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

22 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

interesting sculpture

Fun60 said...

Colourful and meaningful sculpture. Good luck with your car. I am no lover of car insurance companies.

Photo Cache said...

Very interesting sculpture. Speaks to me too, especially I love anything colorful.

Worth a Thousand Words

Lydia C. Lee said...

They're great!

Sara Chapman in Seattle USA said...

Thanks for this post. I particularly like your explanation of the Maori color meanings.

Sharon said...

These are great! They remind me a lot of some similar art pieces I saw in Santa Fe New Mexico that were done by a Native American woman.
That car saga is a sad one. I hope you get it resolved soon.

William Kendall said...

That insurance company is unacceptable.

Sylvia said...

Amy, Love the colors. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week! Sylvia D.

Tigger's Mum said...

I love the tiki. Nothing says home quite like that familiar shape. The colours are modern and I've said it before but i like the way traditional forms can be modernized with materials and colour and relevance to who and what we are now, and the values we hold. F

gz said...

I would guess the source would be airport or quarantine work. Not enviable jobs these days.
Stay safe ((0))

Tom said...

...the art is bold and colorful, your car situation is a pain in the neck and Covid is not going away any time soon.

Davey Bacaron Designs said...

Love it! Sooo colorful!

NCSue said...

I know nothing about Maori art and culture but am always fascinated to see things like this. Nice photo.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/08/warm-strawberry-puff.html

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love the Tiki sculptures Amy not so much the hassle to get your car back, what a drag, definitely time to change insurers! How long will you be in lockdown? Stay safe 💜

local alien said...

More great Taupo artwork. So cheery and so Kiwi!
I hope your immediate lockdown works. Also hope you've got enough loo paper. Can't believe they're still doing that

Veronica Lee said...

Love the colourful sculptures!

Happy Tuesday, Amy!

DawnTreader said...

I sympathize with your frustration about the car. I hope your lock-down has the desired effect against spreading the virus. Here in Sweden numbers are rising again after the summer in spite of the majority of the population now being vaccinated (but most cases now are among young people who have not yet been vaccinated and many of whom have been travelling etc during the summer).

At Home In New Zealand said...

Hope your car gets sorted soon. I can feel your frustration, and I think I would be switching companies as well.

Iris Flavia said...

Great artwork, love when they have a meaning, too.
But your car.... booooy..... I think I wouldn´t be polite anymore, either.

Sorry about your lockdown. Crazy, sad times. How long will this go on?

suituapui said...

Yes, I read the news about the lockdown. Take care, all! #staysafe #staywell #stayhome

Shiju Sugunan said...

Interesting sculptures! Be well!

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/08/yet-another-birding-trip-to-saul-kere.html

betty-NZ said...

Great capture.

Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...