Tuesday 29 June 2021

Huntly Pouwhenua



These Pouwhenua (landmarks) along the new Huntly bypass section of the Waikato Expressway standout from the highway. We weren't able to stop but I had to quickly get a shot of them as we drove past. 

Apparently they symbolize the fairy people or Patupaiarehe and their connection to this part of New Zealand. Named "Te Kaahui Hakuturi" they stand 20m above the ground looking down onto travellers from the summit of the Taupiri Range. They are carved from treated radiata pine and each one looks in a different direction guarding all that come through the whenua (land). 

Linking up with Our World Tuesday, Tuesday Treasures, Through my lens, Travel Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, My Corner of the World.

19 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

glad to see you got a shot of them. :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

All of us who drive and travel could use guardians! Glad for the picture!

Sallie

Tom said...

...many things are difficult to photograph from the road.

NCSue said...

That's fascinating! So glad to have seen these photos and to learn about the Pouwhenua. Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/06/arty-sea-world.html

Fun60 said...

Well done for the photo. I'm usually much too slow to capture something from the car.

Lydia C. Lee said...

I didn't know NZ had fairy people. Interesting. Might google a bit more on that. #WWOT

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

They are interesting to see and learn about about!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That's is very cool!!

At Home In New Zealand said...

I look at them every time I drive that road, and always wish there was somewhere to stop to take a closer look :)

Amy said...

Agree with you, I think there is a way to stop there but you'd have to actually go into Huntly itself maybe.

William Kendall said...

Fascinating!

Photo Cache said...

Very nice.

Worth a Thousand Words

Tigger's Mum said...

It would be a great shame if there isn't some way - a walking trail so they could be approached respectfully say - so that people could appreciate their detail.

Bill said...

Very nice to see. Great moving car photo, Amy. Sometimes I miss my shot from the bus window if I'm not fast enough but I try to be ready the next time when I know it's coming up.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Good drive by shot Amy. They look impressive standing there on the hill looking down, love the idea that they are protecting travelers ✨

magiceye said...

Fascinating story.

Sharon said...

I like this. What a great display. They really do look like they are watching the travelers.

Yvonne said...

How interesting!

betty-NZ said...

We haven't been up that way in a while so will have to look for them next time.

Your link this week at 'My Corner of the World' is appreciated!

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...