Sunday 9 August 2020

Ina Te Papatahi



In 2018 before we left Tauranga I spotted this mural along The Strand near the waterfront. Named "Ina Te Papatahi" by an artist named Owen Dippie who has painted walls in New Zealand, Brooklyn and Los Angeles. He is also involved in Suicide Awareness Outreach and Breast Cancer Research.

This one originally created by Charles Goldie in 1902 shows her traditional facial moko and smoking a pipe.  He painted 17 more portraits of this Ngapuhi Chieftainess and from 1902 until 1941 Goldie continued to immortalise the images of Maori Elders.  His work is featured in several New Zealand art museums.

How has your weekend been so far? As usual I've spent my Saturday and Sunday at work and I'm loving being able to spend alot of that time outside in the garden centre that employs me.  Earlier this week I spent one day cleaning our fishing rods, they were quite dirty and the rods were sticking and not running smoothly. 

I also made the boys a kiwi Pavlova which didn't last long and we have been planning our holiday next year to Napier by thinking about places we would like to visit along the way.

Arohanui to you.

Linking up with Mural Monday 

19 comments:

Tom said...

...by a talented artist!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Beautiful mural Amy, this and the original.. both super talented artists in different eras 💜 went for a 7 km walk yesterday, haven't done much at all today.. the weather has been wintery wild all day, I love it ✨

gz said...

That is beautiful. The originals are wonderful work too. I have seen my cousin's Goldie portrait of his forefather from the area that is now Masterton

Fun60 said...

I would like to see more of his artwork. It looks amazing. No one is thinking about plans for next year yet. Many of us feel our lives have been put on hold.

local alien said...

What a great portrait. Your mural painters are so talented

Sharon said...

That mural is beautiful! What a dedicated artist!

Bill said...

it's beautiful!

Mae Travels said...

Thank you for introducing this very interesting mural artist, and his work, especially in Tauranga -- your links were extremely informative about the contemporary artist and his 20th century predecessor.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm visiting from my friend's because my internet is still down. I really enjoyed reading the history of this mural and seein how things have changed over time.

I agree with others that I'm not thinking about going anywhere till this virus is over. In fact, I just ventured out to buy take-out for the first time since February.

Debbie at Travel with Intent said...

Looks a great mural

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful ones! Hehe, those fishing rods remind me of some beautiful weeks on the old prawn jetty in Carnarvon, Western Australia...

Teresa said...

Looks amazing!

Bertiebo said...

Very very nice!

s.c said...

Beautiful portrait.

NatureFootstep said...

a portrait this large must be perfect. And it seem to be. Nice catch!

Sami said...

Quite a beautiful mural Amy, thanks for participating.
The Napier area looks very interesting, so enjoy planning your holidays.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That's a very nice mural.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful mural and artwork with a great message ~


Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

ps. ~ Apologies for tardiness in commenting

Tigger's Mum said...

I wonder what Goldie himself would be creating if he were alive today. The mural does exquisite justice both to Goldie and to the original subject, but do you think Goldie might ever have considered rendering his subjects that large if the opportunity and materials had presented themselves as they do to today's artists?

Emporium

  One of Napier's main streets in town Napier is one of those old town's that has been reconstructed with art deco buildings due to ...