Saturday 12 October 2019

Bottles and fence posts


I just love the streets and alleyways of Auckland City. Considering I worked here for about 5 years in my first ever full time job when I was 17 years old it sure has changed alot over the years. High Street (above) use to be full of expensive label clothing shops and jewelers. I remember putting a silk shirt on lay-by once that was made by designer Keith Matheson.

Speaking of change....I read a news story 2 days ago about the possibility of the milk industry going back to using glass bottles here in NZ. I think that's a good thing so I'm excited about see what happens with that, I can't think why they ever went to plastic.

Another one I read was about a company who is turning plastic bags into fence posts for farming, another good move for our country. I hope more companies take this on and recycle things we can use because up until recently Asia was taking our plastic but this has now stopped so fingers crossed some good has come from it.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Those are two great ideas for resolving the plastics issue. I hope it catches on across the globe. I'd be more than happy to recycle glass bottles again.

William Kendall said...

A terrific view!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

We used to get milk delivered in bottles but it became expencive so bought it from the supermarket for less than half the price. If they use plastic it should be reuseable

Ella said...

What a great idea ... back on glass bottles!
I would like that the Dutch government to make such a decision.

DawnTreader said...

Our milk comes in cartons. (I remember milk bottles from my early childhood though.) On the radio today they talked about bottled water - mostly plastic bottles nowadays. Aside from the fact that it should be really unnecessary for us here in Sweden to buy bottled water at all (as we have perfectly good tap water), they mentioned that actually plastic bottles are more environmentally friendly than glass bottles when you also take transport into account (because glass bottles are heavier + cannot be packed as tightly as plastic bottles)...

Bill said...

Nice street view. I wish we could go to glass for milk too. It was all gass when I was growing up. We did switch last year from plastic jugs to milk cartons which is better than plastic.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Super street view Amy and it is good when companies take the initiative to do something good for the planet 💙

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...