Sunday 22 September 2019

It's just for the birds


A few months ago my daughter purchased a bird feeder from Bunnings and until earlier this week it was sitting on top of a wheelbarrow by our back door.


The other half found it, filled it with bird seed and hung it up by our back fence. 10 minutes later we had this lot lining up watching us intently.


An hour later and in fact since then we've had a daily succession of both Sparrows and Green Finches. News spreads fast around the bird community it seems.


The Sparrows seem quite aggressive. They fly around the Finches and swoop on them until they lose their balance then they take their place. It's been very successful to the point where now we mix in nuts and bits of dried coconut in with the seeds - they seem quite pleased with it.

11 comments:

local alien said...

Poor finches. Sparrows all over the world seem to be just that more cheekier.

Great photos. Must be entertaining watching them all

Graham Edwards said...

Few things in my garden give me such all year round pleasure as my bird-table and bird feeders. My sparrows are occasionally quarrelsome but on the whole the turnover on the feeder is rapid so everyone gets a turn. Oddly I have sparrow years and greenfinch years (usually the former I have to say) but I've never seen them quarrelling. Starlings on the other hand are real bully boys.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How fantastic Amy, it's so nice seeing the birds in the garden. I think I might be popping into Bunnings soon 😊 Gorgeous pics!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Good for you!! Helping the birds. I was reading an article this morning about the plummeting bird population across the world. You are doing you bit to fight that off.

Alexandria said...

Love the second photo!

Bill said...

The birds on the fence crack me up. They are probably saying, "it's about time they put our feeder up". :)

Sharon said...

I love it! I watched a few birds enjoying a bath this morning. I do love watching them.

gz said...

Love the queue on the fence!

William Kendall said...

Birds need all the help we can give them.

NatureFootstep said...

nice birds at the feeder. Would love to have one but se are not allowed to where I live :(

Rhonda Albom said...

Wow, that bird feeder is quite successful.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...