Friday 16 August 2019

Morena Rangitoto!


When I was growing up as a child in the suburbs of Auckland my mother use to take my siblings and I up to the top of this mountain in Devonport. Mount Victoria, where I took this photo however it's the volcanic landscape in the distance that interests me more.

Rangitoto Island is volcanic and located in the Hauraki Gulf. It is 5.5km island and measures in height 260m. "Rangitoto" is maori for "bloody sky" and is the youngest and largest of around 50 volcanoes in the Auckland area. It erupted approx 600 years ago. It is not dead like most volcanoes but dormant (asleep) and could erupt again at any time. I've never been there, you have to get there by boat and it is now managed by the Department of Conservation, the Ngai Tai and Ngati Paoa tribes.

Visitors are not allowed to take dogs or other animals onto the island and after many years of trying to get rid of rats, stoats, mice, cats, goats, deer, wallaby and possums it is now pest free. North Island Saddlebacks are prevalent there after once being threatened into extinction and Kaka birds once lived there before colonization.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

13 comments:

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful view!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Incredible photo. If I were you, I would definitely plan for a visit to the island. It sounds like it would be an amazing experience!

Photo Cache said...

Postcard perfect view.

Worth a Thousand Words

Lady Fi said...

So lovely!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice photo, and some interesting cultural and natural history of the island. Getting rid of the pests obviously required a large amount of work by lots of people over and extended period of time.

Susan Heather said...

When you go it is well worth taking the "tractor" trip. There is still some walking to do but you get a commentary and, I think, would see more than if you were on foot.

gz said...

(O)

Bill said...

What a gorgeous view!

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful and fascinating photo ~ ^_^

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Sharon said...

I would be curious about this place too! I can imagine that it was a spectacular (and scary) sight when it erupted all those years ago.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Cool place to be

Rhonda Albom said...

I can almost see it off of my deck (if I lean out a bit to see past some houses further along a cliff from me).

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That's a lovely sight Amy. Isn't it wonderful that the Saddlebacks are safe here in this pest free environment. Hopefully there won't be any eruptions either ✨

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...