Wednesday 28 August 2019

Devonport's Esplanade Hotel




In the early 1990s I worked here in Devonport on Auckland's North Shore for a couple of lawyers. In those days the town was even busier than it is now. After nearly 25 years we visited the town again so I should show the other half. The Esplanade hotel in the foreground was built around 1900/1901 by a builder named Archibald Grandison and because it overlooks the harbour it quickly became a popular summer seaside resort back in those days. Over the years it's become a place where bands played and workers enjoy a cold drink after work.

Devonport is filled with old Victorian wooden villas and historic buildings, as you can see in the photo. These days it's still a busy place and the buildings are filled with unique shops and businesses. The day we were here the rain gave us a brief reprieve so I was able to capture some blue sky but it didn't last for long.

Linking up with My corner of the world

8 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love when old buildings continue to be reused and maintained. That is a beautiful old building.

William Kendall said...

I like the architecture.

Susan Heather said...

That is a lovely old hotel and, as you say, Devonport has some good shops especially second hand book shops.

betty-NZ said...

Great photo. The area looks like a quaint place to visit.

Great post on 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up!


My Corner of the World

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I’m glad they saved that impressive building! I bet it is fun to show your husband places from your “former life.”

Rhonda Albom said...

Devonport is a fun little area. I never knew the lineage of that hotel.

Sharon said...

That hotel is beautiful and so is that street.

Bill said...

What a beautiful old building, it looks wonderful for its age.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...