Tuesday 28 May 2019

Little old house in Whangaroa




"Absence is a house so vast that inside you will pass through it's walls and hang pictures on the air" - Pablo Neruda.

I have a thing about abandoned houses and sheds. They speak volumes to me about being unloved and unused. I imagine who lived there and what memories they left behind.

I have been reading a book by Barbara Brookes called "Women in History - an essay on European women in NZ". Quite academic about some of the first females to our country to those who are currently living. The early settlers must've had quite a hard time when they came here, struggling on land in farms and houses learning how to become self sufficient through growing their own vegetables and fruits, making their own clothing etc. We are quite blessed these days to the point where practically everything is done for us.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday and My Corner of the World.

12 comments:

mick said...

A lovely little old house. I am sure at one time it was full of bustling people. Good to remember those days!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice photo, I've read about the early pioneers here in the USA. I think life was very hard, especially for the women.

rupam sarma said...

So beautiful

Lydia C. Lee said...

Abandoned houses are both ugly and beautiful at the same time - they have a certain intrugiung air, like they're whispering a secret to you

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

So true about how much easier life is now than in the old "pioneer" days, here in the USA too. Abandoned houses/barns always set me to wondering what the story might be of those who build and lived there and why they left.

Susan Heather said...

I have the same thoughts about all the old barns and houses. The book sounds interesting.

betty-NZ said...

I love finding these treasures, too, and your link is a great part of 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for joining us.
My Corner of the World

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is a neat old house. Love the view and sky too. The first settlers did have a hard life but I am sure they were happy to be there. Wishing you a happy day!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I do too Amy, it would be so fantastic if we could step back in time just to have a peek.. as long as we could come back again 😊

carol l mckenna said...

I too have the same thoughts about abandoned place ~ great photo of a sweet house ~ ^_^

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Heidi R. said...

A nice little house, because I would like to turn back time and see who lived there?

Lady Fi said...

That is so lovely!

Queue

  I'm sure we've all stood in this same way at airports in our lives. This one features B and 2 tourists waiting for coffee at Auckl...