Sunday 2 September 2018

Pukeko birds galore!


Since we've moved here to Kerikeri I've noticed there are a lot of these birds just about everywhere compared to anywhere else I've lived. The NZ Pukeko (pronounced poo-keck-oh) loves swampy, wet places and sometimes we see them on the edges of motorways because they love scrounging around for leftovers.


They have black and blue features with red beaks and unfortunately aren't very intelligent at all. Unlike our national Kiwi birds these ones aren't endangered at all because they are prolific breeders but they are predators of baby ducklings and are sometimes regarded as pests.

9 comments:

local alien said...

I love seeing pukekos...and their name! Our favourite birds. Loved seeing them beside the road

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Beautifully dramatic colours Amy, shame about the baby ducklings but that's life in the wild I guess ✨

Wayne said...

I've never heard of that bird. The red beak is pretty cool.

Bill said...

What an interesting bird, he looks like a scrounger in the first photo, walking and searching for a leftover. I like the name of the bird.

Re your question about the sculpture at the school. I don't know if the autistic students helped create it, the sign didn't say.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Well I learned something new. I don't think of any of them have made their way to Oklahoma, USA yet.

Graham Edwards said...

I had them roaming round The Cottage in Hawkes Bay. They can make a frightening noise sometimes.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's a very interesting looking bird and obviously a survivor species. Seems like so many birds who can be pests are prolific and adaptable so they are never endangered. It makes you wonder.

William Kendall said...

Quite a different kind of bird to my eyes!

Rhonda Albom said...

While they are pretty, I consider them pests. They also aren't very graceful fliers.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...