Sunday 6 January 2019

Kune Kune Pigs


These guys are so friendly. "Kunekune" means fat and round in Maori and that they definitely are. They are a smaller type of pig with short legs and short snouts.


Some people breed them for show, others breed them as food.  Very sociable and placid, they do well with people contact as well as being intelligent


I happened to be visiting an area just outside of Kerikeri where I spied them being very curious at the edge of the fence of a farm. Think they were eager to check us out.

12 comments:

Andy said...

I don't why but these two made me smile. ^(*(oo)*)^

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

They look very personable!!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Happy New Year to yourself and family Amy. What a delightful pair here, one is definitely more whiskery than the other.. hope they're more of the pet variety ☺

William Kendall said...

Quite different from ones we see here.

Bill said...

They are so different from what we see. They're very cute, we could never raise them for food, their cuteness is too much and I would feel guilty. :)

Amy said...

I'm with you bill on this one. I'm a meat eater but I might struggle with seeing them get home killed for the freezer.

NatureFootstep said...

only their mother can think they are cute :)

Wayne said...

They are cute, too cute to eat.

Sharon said...

I've never seen pigs like this before. They are so cute.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Those are really cute Amy! Bill likes pigs...he’s an old farm boy and raised them as a kid. I’ll show these to him, he’ll get a kick out of them.

Lady Fi said...

They are adorable!

Rhonda Albom said...

The local regional park has 3 of these type of pig. The YMCA at the park feeds them all their table scraps. The 3 little pigs are not so little anymore.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...