Sunday 18 March 2018

Tauranga Art Gallery


This morning for my birthday (I turned 47 today) we visited the Tauranga Art Gallery.  I have mixed thoughts about this place. My grandfather was an artist and painted paintings in water colour and oils, he held exhibitions in Auckland city during the 1960s so I guess that's what I'm use to.


This section "Future Islands" was alot of fun, in particular I liked the Maori storage hut (above) which appears to have a small ornament of the white house inside it, possibly made from bone, we weren't sure.


This area produced by Charles Walker and Kathy Waghorn represents real and imagined projects that show the diversity of our architecture.



The "road at the end of the universe" was a lit up section in another room, we couldn't quite figure it  out but it's creative nonetheless.


I loved this one titled "the space between" by James Ormsby. To me it shows the ground and what's under the sky.


The gallery as we were walking up the stairs with a resident artist illustrating a long scroll from his perch.


This one was cool. "Postcard to Doctor Jacoby" by Hannah and Aaron Beehre was interactive. You can't see in this photo but there were tiny fireflies swarming around the picture whenever you put your hands near it.


I looked at this and had 3 thoughts....what a huge mess, I like the colours and I pity the person that has to clean this up. Weaving Forest by Super Nature.


These bowls were made by The Bowl Exchange and called "Ace Firers".


And just behind the bowls were the Resolution Series of Captain Clerke and an unknown Maori person by Tane Ma. The person behind the wall was exploring a virtual reality of Maori images.

All in all I think although it was interesting for us to see how much art has come along, in particular digital art we were a bit disappointed as we had expected perhaps more paintings by local artists both historical and modern.

15 comments:

local alien said...

First of all Happy Birthday, kronia polla.
Unusual art. Some of it hard to appreciate from the photos....me anyway. Love that there are different styles. The space in-between is interesting

Andy said...

¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸Happy Birthday To You¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸

carol l mckenna said...

Happy Birthday to you ~ may you have a 'wonder filled' one
~ As for the museum ~ very modern and creative. Does challenge one's perception ~

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Graham Edwards said...

Happy Birthday even if, as I'm writing this, you will be fast asleep. I hope that you had a lovely day. I love Tauranga Art Gallery and have spent many happy hours their. One of my dear friends happens to be an artist in Tauranga so I often get to go and be educated at the same time.

I think the 'Restaurant at the End of The Universe" is probably a reference to the second book of Douglas Adams' Trilogy in Five Parts, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy". There are some fascinating parts in the book, particularly when they arrive at The Restaurant. Having said all that I can't recall enough to see any significance in the artwork.

I could not appreciate the hanging pieces without seeing the 'in the flesh' so to speak. However I did like 'The Space Between'.

I assume that the 'back room' with the 'permanent' painting on the ground floor is still there. I have seen some beautiful (and some less to my taste) paintings in the larger 'back' room on the ground floor over the years. Overall, possibly like you' I get more out of paintings than I do out of other art forms as a general rule.

Graham Edwards said...

Oh dear. Many apologies for the typo in line two. There may be others but that one hit me in the face the second I posted it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

'Art is in the eye of the beholder' has never been more true these days Amy 😀

William Kendall said...

It's Postcard that really grabs my attention.

Bill said...

Happy Bithday, Amy. This art gallery has some interesting art to see. I really like "the space between", it's beautiful.

Wayne said...

Happy Birthday! 'Eclectic' come to mind, which means I don't understand it ;-)

Amy said...

yes I'm with you on that one Wayne.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sure hope you enjoy your 47 birthday. Stop in from Perth Daily Photo and if you fine the time stop in for a cup of coffee

Sharon said...

Art is such a funny thing to me. I go to our art museum quite often to see new things and I don't always like them but, I'm glad I saw them anyway. That one you called the mess made me laugh. Our art museum just recently had an exhibit that some similarities to this one and I thought exactly the same thing. Actually, I couldn't wait for that one to be gone. Lovely photos. I enjoyed the tour. Happy Birthday!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy Belated Birthday. It's really wildly different examples of art -- but I would have enjoyed that. I do wonder how on earth they move that Weaving Forest -- assuming it isn't a permanent exhibit. The Space Between was my favorite, even though to me the sky (the top) looked more like an ocean -- I'd probably have hung it upside down.

NatureFootstep said...

we have something similar where I live. I think I would rather call them "happenings". The present exhibition will have a Performance on thursday where the artist will paint and a musician will play music to the new art. Will be interesting I think.

Rhonda Albom said...

I don't always get modern art but I like most of these pieces. The Weaving Forest looks a bit like my daughter's yarn box.

Cobden Observation Post

  We've been living in Greymouth nearly 2 years now and we finally got to complete this walk to the Cobden WW2 Observation Post . It too...