Friday 19 April 2019

Zane Grey's Paihia


I've been passed this place many times while driving through Paihia but never actually stopped until recently. This is one of the more popular restaurants in the area - Zane Grey's overlooks the harbour and wharf. It not only has a restaurant and bar but also apparently has an aquarium inside.

The restaurant was named after a local legendary fisherman Zane Grey. He first visited NZ in 1926 and caught some large fish such as a Mako Shark. He established a base at Otehei Bay in the Bay of Islands which became a destination for rich and famous people. He wrote quite a few articles for international sporting magazines about fishing and also held numerous records a hookless bait that is still used today to attract fish.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

11 comments:

William Kendall said...

A different Zane from the writer.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

SOunds like a great place to visit

Rose said...

I about fell over when I seen the name Zane Grey! I have read most of his books!

doodles n daydreams said...

I think it is the same Zane Grey, he came to NZ for R&R.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's interesting if it is the same Zane Grey. He's well known in my neck of the woods as a writer of western novels, including Rider's of the Purple Sage.

doodles n daydreams said...

I believe it was the big game fishing (marlin etc) that attracted him, and yes he wrote westerns which I've also read a few of.

Graham Edwards said...

Well that's all interesting new information to me.

Rhonda Albom said...

I've been there for a meal several times. I food is good and the aquarium is small but entertaining.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Is this the same Zane Grey who wrote US western adventures stories? I suppose not, but I will Google.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It looks as if Mr Grey is well known to your readers Amy.. bet the fish is fresh here ✨

Lady Fi said...

Nice building!

Pavement

  A neat and tidy pavement lined alleyway/shopping area in Paihia. Linking up with  Weekend Reflections   and the  Weekend Roundup .