Wednesday 20 March 2019

Maori waves in Paihia


We were in Paihia earlier this week and as we turned into where a market day was being held this sculpture caught my eye. I'm not sure who created it, I have researched but haven't had any luck. To me it looks like it symbolizes waves or water - behind it is a souvenir shop on the wharf. Paihia is very busy from October until late March as the cruise ships stop here when they are in port so there were alot of people exploring the town.

Linking up with Wednesday around the world.

9 comments:

gz said...

We'll have to keep an eye out for that when we arrive in Paihia tomorrow afternoon.(with the 4 day Tour of the Northland)
Do the Hokianga Maori Artists group still have a shop/gallery there? We met them six years ago there.. very talented.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Reminds me of a fern you see growing on the moors in Wales. Looks a nice carving

William Kendall said...

I like that.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, that is a beautiful piece of art. Love it!

local alien said...

I opened this up on our big desk computer. The photo is so much bigger and cleaer - naturally. Loved looking at this NZ scene and the sculpture

Wayne said...

That is pretty cool, I can't imagine the time and talent to carve that

Sharon said...

I think you are right about the waves on water. That's what it looks like to me.

betty-NZ said...

I can see why it would catch your eye, there is so much detail in the carving. Thanks for linking up over at My Corner of the World (not Wednesday around the World)!

Graham Edwards said...

Quite oddly it would seem I've never been to Piahia when there has been a cruise liner in so heaven knows how busy it must be then.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...