Wednesday 21 November 2018

The old Horeke Hotel


While driving along some backroads we stopped in this little place. Horeke is in the Hokianga Harbour and boasts a few houses, some old buildings and a hotel/pub. According to the hotel website it was the 2nd town ever established in NZ and is the home of the first commercial ship building yard in NZ dating back to 1826. The hotel is the oldest surviving pub in the country and the oldest part dates to 1833. There is a wharf/jetty at the back of the building leading to the water which looks a bit dilapidated but it probably still serves a purpose.

10 comments:

William Kendall said...

It looks idyllic.

Susan Heather said...

When my late parents visited me in the 1960's we visited Horeke and my father was really taken with this little pub.

carol l mckenna said...

Great photo and fascinating history ~ ^_^

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

gz said...

(O)

Andy said...

What a charming location. I see many spots in the scene for photo ops.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Beautiful setting

Billy Blue Eyes said...

The good thing is the hotel is still in use

Sharon said...

The beauty of this place is what draws me in.

Bill said...

A very picturesque place. Nice, peaceful and beautiful.

Re the water level in yesterday's photo, that was when we were lacking rain but it should be back to normal now. I haven't been there since then so I'll have to go check on it.

Graham Edwards said...

I really wish we had stopped there. I don't even remember it.

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...