Monday 19 November 2018

Maraeroa Maori Urupa Church


Horeke Road in the Hokianga District runs for about 35 minutes with most of it being a dirt gravel road. Much of New Zealand's small towns are linked by this and along the way once again I asked the other half to stop when this baby caught my eye.


For some reason I can't find any information whatsoever about it except that it's named Maraeroa Historical Church and is on 1737 Horeke Road. There is only one grave there belonging to a Private Hone Matiu who served in the 1st World War and died in 1919.


Now sometimes we've found that with old churches the door is either locked or unlocked - this one was the latter. He's not into old buildings as much as I am so I carefully walked inside and what I saw was a very sparse but well looked after interior - looks quite humble doesn't it? From the retro pattered carpet mat down the center of the aisle to the table covered with a cloth and fresh flowers to the weaving hanging on the walls. Under the table to me it looked like a cloth or a cloak with feathers possibly hanging off the end and on top of the table is a large bible.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday.

17 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I enjoy seeing these smaller churches Amy, as you say it looks well looked after and the fresh flowers indicate that it is still being used ✨

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You found a little gem, a simple unadorned church that you can sit in peace and contemplate.

Andy said...

We have a lot in common. The early settlers here in Canada also built churches just like this one.

Wayne said...

NZ has so many different small churches, these are really special!

Sharon said...

It such a tiny and humble place that it makes it even more special.

William Kendall said...

The simplicity appeals to me.

local alien said...

So plain and unpretentious. So typically NZ. Glad you were able to see inside!

Bill said...

Beautiful wee church, I love the simplicity of it.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love old country churchs

Fun60 said...

A simple place of worship that has a beauty all of its own.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I just love this kind of stuff. Such a beautiful simple interior and interesting exterior.

Joyful said...

Lovely old church.

Graham Edwards said...

I enjoy seeing the old churches because looking at old churches was a big feature of our Northland safaris.

Lady Fi said...

My - so very pretty!

Jenn said...

What a lovely old church! I love finding old churches in the country. I find most are locked but some are open.

Murthy K v v s said...

Small but beautiful.

betty-NZ said...

I love little places like this and it's so awesome when the doors are unlocked. Great find!

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...