Saturday 6 October 2018

The face of culture


When I first started travelling to the Bay of Plenty area in March 2015 I drove through this small town of Katikati - known as a "mural town". One of the motels I passed had this painting on the outside wall near a park - it caught my eye, so to speak just like the artist probably intended.

Named "The face of culture" this one was created by 400 potential artists of all ages who painted their small squares to a pre-set design. This was then carefully put together in 2015 to make the 4 faces of culture.

Pretty interesting huh?

8 comments:

gz said...

stunning!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Looks quite a scary face to me, well done though

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Gosh how amazing is this! I love that it was such a community affair Amy, each adding their own piece to the mural, fantastic ✨

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love stuff like this. Here in Tulsa we are getting a lot more murals (as opposed to graffiti) in our city. I think it adds quite a bit to the town.

William Kendall said...

It certainly is eye catching.

Bill said...

What a unique idea to get people to participate and add their own touch to the mural. It's a beauty!

Susan Heather said...

Haven't been there for years but I do like Katikati (the second "t" disappeared in your post).

Graham Edwards said...

I didn't realise Katikati was called Muraltown. Interesting. Town art is becoming very popular in so many places now. I think it's a very welcome development.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...