Tuesday 18 September 2018

It's all on in the vege garden


Over the last 6 weeks or so I've been watching my vege garden quite closely. The plants have gone from being tiny seedlings to being about 3/4 way grown.


That's about the size of it - this was fully built and full of soil when we first moved in, all we had to add was some manure and water.


As I've mentioned previously I like the idea of companion planting which is adding herbs and certain flowering plants to combat those nasties we don't like in our gardens. The Calendula plants have just started flowering and the basil, mint and parsley are growing nicely. All up I have in there miniature Silverbeet, Beetroot, Red Lettuce, Green Lettuce, Broccoli and Cauliflower.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday.

11 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

BEautiful veggie garden and I love that last photo!

Susan Heather said...

Looking good.

Bill said...

You can't beat fresh veggies and herbs.

William Kendall said...

It looks productive!

local alien said...

Lots of good healthy meals coming up!

gz said...

a lovely sight..wishing you good gardening. I've just taken out the last of our broad beans,ready to sow for next year, the beetroot is next on the gardening list. Seeing your garden growing keeps me going through the winter!

Graham Edwards said...

I'm ashamed to say that, for various reasons, I didn't grow any vegetables this year (although plenty of flowers and some herbs). I did have a big indoor basil plant (impossible to grow outdoors here).

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That's a healthy crop you have there Amy, good idea to plant the flowering plants to distract the bugs. When I see such a fab set up like this I'm so tempted to give it a go!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Gosh Amy, didn’t you just move in there a few days ago? Seriously I can’t believe how much you’ve done in such a short time! Beautiful garden....sometimes I miss having one , and am glad we are able raid our daughter’s while we’re here. We used always to plant marigolds around the edges of our beds to keep away slugs and snails.

Amy said...

We moved up here in mid July so the garden has had plenty of time to grow. I've got some Marigold plants in there at the moment.

Rhonda Albom said...

That silverbeet looks lovely. I wish I had the time to get a garden planted.

Emporium

  One of Napier's main streets in town Napier is one of those old town's that has been reconstructed with art deco buildings due to ...