Monday 30 April 2018

Good old Cape Reinga


First time I've ever visited this spot in my life - strange considering I lived in Northland for 20 years. Anyway Cape Reinga is the northernmost tip at the northern end of the north island. The nearest town, Kaitaia is about 100km away. The Maori people believe that the the cape is the point where the spirits of the dead enter the underworld.


This area is considered to be the separation marker between the Tasman sea to the west and the Pacific Ocean to the right.  The lighthouse was built in 1941 and first lit in May of that year - in 1987 the lighthouse was fully automated and there was no further need for lighthouse keepers to be there.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday.

11 comments:

local alien said...

Love the story of the spirits....similar to a Greek myth. Visited there 55 years ago lol. Hope I make it one more time

Graham Edwards said...

Isn't it often the case that we frequently have not been to places near where we live? When I first came to Lewis in the mid '70s it was all so different to anything I had know before and I only expected to be here for two years. So I took full advantage and visited everywhere on Lewis and Harris and virtually everywhere in the Outer Hebrides. Over four decades later there are places I have not been to since those very early days. I have, however, been to Cape Reinga which is about as far away from Lewis as it's possible to get on the planet. And it was worth the journey (both times).

kwarkito said...

both photos are absolutely beautiful and the explanation is welcome. Thank you very much for your blog that I follow with great interest and that makes me dream of distant lands

Andy said...

Beautiful scenery.

William Kendall said...

What a gorgeous spot!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's so beautiful. Interesting about it being the dividing line between the seas! Yes, lighthouse keeper is definitely no longer a career choice.

Lady Fi said...

What a lovely area!

Sharon said...

I had to look at a world map to get a perspective of where you were. There certainly isn't very much straight to the north of there for a very, very long ways. That Wikipedia article you shared talks about there being a clash of the waters of the two seas creating unsettling waters. The thought of that fascinates me. Fantastic post.

Sharon said...

I forgot to mention that your photos are simply gorgeous.

Fun60 said...

Beautiful area. The meeting of the seas.

NatureFootstep said...

a nice lighthouse with a fine view :)

Eyes

In a nearby suburb in Greymouth I've been watching the reconstruction of this house and last week I saw that someone had painted a very ...