Tuesday 12 September 2017

Road trip to Bridal Veil Falls


So Spring here feels like a rewind of Winter. When we left home Sunday morning the skies looked overcast as usual, we've had so much rain here lately but the forecast was that it would clear up by the afternoon.

After a 2 hour drive (at least) we got to this place just out of Raglan...Bridal Veil Falls, and you can see why it's called that right?



We walked through native bush from the carpark for about 10 minutes then got to the upper viewing platform, I was too scared to look over (being scared of heights).


Then walked down to the middle viewing area and finally the bottom viewing area, about roughly 260 steps in all, I'm sure my knees and legs were crying out by the time we got there.


And this was what we saw at the bottom, I think it was worth all the effort, don't you? Oh and the minute we got back in the car it started raining and hailing. Was quite a cold day.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday :-)

16 comments:

Wayne said...

Yea! I love waterfalls, this is no exception.

Fun60 said...

Quite a spectacular waterfall.

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful waterfall!

Bridal Veil seems to be quite a common name for these.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful water falls.

Kay L. Davies said...

I was thinking the same thing as William Kendall (above) — Bridal Veil falls is not-uncommon name for waterfalls like this...who could resist imagining a bride in a long white veil? I can think of a waterfall of the same name in my home province of British Columbia. Speaking of BC, your 260-step trek down to the bottom could well have been taken on the BC coast, with a change in plant life. There's a place like it where my brother lives, and my sister-in-law has tried in vain to get me to walk even partway down. Nope, I'll wait up here in the car, thank you very much!
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
www.unfittie.blogspot.com

Andy said...

The waterfall is amazing.

Sharon said...

These are gorgeous photos and yes, the effort was worth it. Wow!

Bill said...

Very impressive waterfall. Your photos show the beauty of the falls and the area. That's a lot of stairs to deal with but I agree, it was worth the effort.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I'm with you on this Amy, I too am petrified of heights! I just hope I never find myself in any situation where I'm stick on a mountain ledge 😀 Absolutely gorgeous last shot!

Ruth said...

That is one impressive waterfall! Love it! I get what you are saying about the burn on your legs. I experience it a lot. I am so bad with inclinations. #OurWorldTuesday

NatureFootstep said...

hm, interesating, I think I have seen this. I visited NZ many years ago and we sent to see a waterfall like this one. It was quite fun because it was raining heavily so, we were walking in the rain to see more water :)

Amy said...

yes that pretty much sounds like our experience too :-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

it is gorgeous!! I'm glad you got the hike and the wonderful pictures and back in the car before you got hailed on. There's a Bridal Veil Falls on the Columbia Gorge here in Oregon, but that is one of the places where there have been terrible forest fires this summer... I don't imagine we will get to go see it this year.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Amy,
What a great shots of that waterfall.
Really amazing!!

Kind regards,
Marco

Graham Edwards said...

Quite amazing. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to Raglan.

Andrea said...

I want to see this falls too, but i still don't know how far it is from Auckland. And i can relate to your feelings at the viewdeck, as i have heights phobia too, reason why i can't ride on the zipline!

Pavement

  A neat and tidy pavement lined alleyway/shopping area in Paihia. Linking up with  Weekend Reflections   and the  Weekend Roundup .